Open Faced Mediterranean Breakfast Sandwich
Author: Chef Donna
Recipe type: Breakfast, Brunch
Jump-start your brainpower with an intake of nutrients from this delicious veggie packed breakfast in hand. Made with fresh sauteed vegetables, Mediterranean Bean Spread, eggs, and feta cheese, all on top of an English Muffin. This will be your new "To Go" morning meal. Makes 6 sandwiches.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or nonstick cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups fresh vegetables, diced (Example: zucchini, summer squash, asparagus, carrots, onions, bell peppers, broccoli/cauliflower stems, mushrooms, tomatoes)
- 6 large eggs or 1 ½ cup (12 ounces) of your favorite egg substitute*
- 3 tablespoons water
- Kosher or sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Mediterranean Bean Spread (http://yourplateormineinc.com/2010/07/mediterranean-bean-spread/)
- 3 large English muffins, split and toasted**
- 3 ounces fat-free feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Heat medium skillet with olive oil or cooking spray. Add vegetables and salt/pepper and sauté over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until desired doneness is reached, stirring occasionally.
- Beat eggs or egg substitute, water, black and salt/pepper in medium bowl with wire whisk until well blended; pour into skillet with the sautéed vegetables. Cook until eggs/egg substitutes are almost set; stir. Cook an additional 3 minutes, or until eggs/egg substitutes reach desired doneness, stirring occasionally.
- Spread enough bean spread to cover each of the toasted muffin halves. Next, spoon about ⅓ cup of the egg mixture on top; top with about 1 tablespoon feta cheese (if using). Serve immediately or wrap to go.
- * Can omit eggs or egg substitute for a vegan dish.
- **Substitute your favorite bread like ciabatta or potato rolls for English muffins.
Click this link to see the Mediterranean Bean Spread recipe.