Hello Happy Cookers!
This is one of my most popular dishes on the weekly meals menu: Moist and smoky-sweet BBQ Turkey Meatloaf accompanied by Creamy Mashed Cauliflower and Peas/Carrots with Dill. Easy to heat and eat – a perfect weeknight treat! (Cauliflower recipe follows)
Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
Author: Chef Donna
Recipe type: Side Dish
Sneak in extra veggies with an often under-used ingredient: cauliflower. I use a little russet potato for structure.
- 1 medium head white cauliflower, broken into medium-sized florets
- ½ small russet potato, peeled and diced
- ½ cup milk or cream, warmed
- 2-3 tablespoons butter, softened
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives, minced
- Fill a large pot with water and place over medium-high heat on stove.
- Once the water reaches a low boil, add 1-2 tablespoons of salt.
- Add cauliflower and potato to pot and allow salted water to return to low boil and cook vegetables until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove pot from stove and drain water by pouring contents into a colander. Return vegetables to pot and place pot over low heat on stove. You want to see the steam evaporating from the cauliflower and potato; continue to cook until all of the moisture is cooked out, about 2-3 minutes. (This step will ensure fluffiness and texture in the finished dish.)
- Pour cauliflower and potato into a large bowl and cream until smooth using a potato masher.
- Add milk or cream and butter and stir with a spoon until thoroughly mixed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with fresh chives and enjoy!